1. Home
  2. News

PM Modi Asks Farmers to Participate in a Mega "Natural Farming" Program on Dec 16

Zero-budget natural farming is a technique of farming that aims to bring down input costs by making farmers rely on natural inputs, shifting away from agricultural chemicals, such as pesticides and fertilizers.

Ayushi Raina
PM Modi
PM Modi

Farmers should shift to natural farming to save money and enhance yields, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday, inviting farmers to participate in a mega "natural farming" program on December 16. 

The Prime Minister said at a rally in Balrampur after inaugurating the 9,800-crore project, which aims to provide assured water for irrigation to over 1.4 million hectares and assist about 2.9 million farmers, that natural farming saves earth and water and produces superior crops. 

"On December 16, I invite farmers from throughout the country for a mega farmers’ program on natural farming on December 16.  Here, you will learn about zero-budget farming, which saves water while producing better yield," he added. 

When Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced his decision to repeal the three contentious farm laws on November 19, he also emphasized on supporting zero-budget natural farming to enhance farm incomes. 

Zero-budget natural farming is a farming practice that aims to reduce input costs by making farmers to rely on natural inputs rather than agricultural chemicals such as pesticides and fertilizers. 

The farming technique is based on the idea that 98 percent of the nutrients required by crops for photosynthesis — carbon dioxide, nitrogen, water, and solar energy — are already available free from nature.   The soil can provide the remaining 1.5-2 percent of nutrients. 

Noting that Padma Shri awardee Subhash Palekar of Maharashtra pioneered the concept of zero-budget natural farming, Modi stated that it preserves the earth and water while simultaneously producing superior crops. 

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman emphasized zero-budget natural farming in her 2019-2020 Union Budget speech, urging farmers to “go back to basics” and "replicate this innovative model (which) can aid in doubling our farmers' income." 

At the Balrampur event, Modi highlighted his government's dedication to farmer welfare, claiming that the Modi government is the first to take care of small farmers by linking them with government benefits. 

Some of the steps being taken include the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi, alternative revenue streams in fisheries, dairy, and bee culture, and prospects in ethanol. The prime minister stated that ethanol worth 12,000 crore has been acquired from Uttar Pradesh itself over the last four and a half years. 

Take this quiz on World Meteorological Day to check your knowledge about meteorology! Take a quiz
Share your comments

Subscribe to our Newsletter. You choose the topics of your interest and we'll send you handpicked news and latest updates based on your choice.

Subscribe Newsletters